Online rent scams are prevalent, and it appears that the problem is only going to get worse.
An Garda Siochana in Ireland have advised that there has been a 65% increase in rent scams over the past four years and that trend is set to continue. Housing bodies, student unions and local media are continuously raising awareness about such frauds but are there practical measures which could actively prevent online rental scams?
What if we told you that renters could adopt one simple and cost-effective security step to greatly enhance the security of their online property rental transaction.
…introducing Secureprop Verify, a security measure which authenticates each landlord’s identity and confirms their actual address. Did you know that the majority of online rent scams occur due to a fake landlord, a fake property or both? Our service safeguards renters from online property scams and focuses on prevention rather than detection.
Online landlord scammers typically rely on anonymity so why not transact with a landlord that you know is who they say they are?
What is Secureprop Verify and landlord verification?
Secureprop Verify authenticates the landlord’s identity and confirms their actual address. This verification step is a priority when it comes to preventing rent scams and it typically involves the verification of identity (passport, drivers’ licence etc.) as well as proof of address (recent utility bill etc.).
How does landlord identity verification help prevent property scams?
The majority of online property scams involve either fake landlords or fake properties. Scammers will create a fake a identify or use stolen identity to pretend to be somebody that they’re not. By verifying a landlord’s identity and address, renters can significantly reduce the instances of online rent scams, ensuring a safer and more transparent real estate experience.
Benefits of Landlord Address Verification
- Fraud Prevention: Landlord address verification acts as a strong deterrent to scammers who rely on anonymity to carry out their fraudulent activities.
- Transparency: Verified landlords inspire confidence in potential renters, leading to more transparent and honest interactions throughout the rental process.
- Reduced Risk: By confirming the landlord’s identity and address, you can significantly lower the risk of falling victim to scams and fraudulent schemes.
- Legal Recourse: In the unfortunate event of a dispute, having verified details provides a stronger foundation for legal action, ensuring you have the necessary information to protect your rights.
- Peace of Mind: Landlord address verification offers peace of mind, allowing renters to focus on finding the right property without the constant worry of falling prey to scams.
How does Secureprop Verify work?
Renters simply contact Secureprop.com via email at email@example.com as soon as a landlord/agent has offered them a property. Secureprop will verify the renter and landlord identification and proof of address prior to the transfer of funds. In terms of best practice, renters should notify landlords that they are availing of secureprop Verify and seek agreement prior to sending Secureprop the details. The process is designed to be as easy as possible for landlords and renters and can be completed within 24 hours.
Will Secureprop verify prevent all rent scams?
No, Secureprop verify will significantly reduce your chance of being scammed by a fake landlord however, it naturally isn’t an absolute protection. We would always advice proceeding with caution regardless of the safeguards in place and in terms of best practice, our rent escrow account service should be used when transferring pre-let funds prior to moving in to the residence.
Need additional support?
Are you a renter or organisation looking to secure the rental process for yourself or others? If so, contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your needs and explore options. We offer a range of additional services which can essentially eliminate the risk associated with online rentals – contact us today to help us learn how we can assist.